Friday, June 12, 2009

follow up questions on internet article

  1. What article did you choose to read for your #5 article?    I chose to read Elder Ballard's talk called let our voices be heard.
  2. What were the most important things you learned from the readings?  I learned the biggest challenge is to choose wisely.  It is up to us to partake in the good or the bad.  We have a choice.  I also learned some good strategies to minimize the effect of the negative media. 
  3. 1. We need to hold family councils and decide what our media standards are going to be.

    2. We need to spend enough quality time with our children that we are consistently the main influence in their lives, not the media or any peer group.

    3. We need to make good media choices ourselves and set good examples for our children.

    4. We need to limit the amount of time our children watch TV or play video games or use the Internet each day. Virtual reality must not become their reality.

    5. We need to use Internet filters and TV programming locks to prevent our children from “chancing upon” things they should not see.

    6. We need to have TVs and computers in a much-used common room in the home, not in a bedroom or a private place.

    7. We need to take time to watch appropriate media with our children and discuss with them how to make choices that will uplift and build rather than degrade and destroy.

     
  4. How will what you have read influence your actions as a parent and/or teacher of children and youth?   I will follow the guidelines above, and I've thought about going through the movies I have and getting rid of a bunch of them.  I don't want to teach my children the lessons some of the movies teach.  
  5. How can you use what you have learned from the reading to have a positive influence on family and friends?  I can influence my family and friends by making my voice heard.  I can speak up for things I don't like in the media, and try to get a poll from different families and friends to send to the media companies to protest what is being shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment